Thursday, April 21, 2016

Daily Reflection: Wednesday

Today we visited Ford's Theater and the IMAX theater in the Smithonian, along with the Peterson House. Fords Theater was the place that Abraham Lincoln got shot by John Wilkes Booth on April 14th 1865. The Peterson House is where Lincoln was brought to be nursed and eventually died the next day in that very house. The Smithonian IMAX theater doesn't have much historical significance but it does show movies of historic significance. Their movies include things about WW II and space things.

What I learned from the most was probably Fords Theater and the Peterson House. The impact of Abraham Lincoln extends throughout years and years of American history and even until today. He was an icon during the Civil Rights Movement and during other social crises. The Lincoln Memorial, which we visited on Monday, can still be viewed and his addresses still read. Hopefully he continues to be an icon of freedom for years to come.

Fords Theater as I mentioned before, is where Abraham Lincoln was shot on April 14th 1865 during a play, the theater still functions as an actual theater despite this event. The Peterson House has become a museum of sorts to Lincoln and the things he did. The Smithsonian IMAX is just a movie theater now though. They do show Star Wars there so I like it. Given however, the theater still shows educational things, and Star Wars.

My favorite thing of the day would probably have to be the movie at the IMAX theater. The 3D didn't feel forced or added in for quick appeal, it was really well done and didn't feel forced. The movie was also educational and didn't rely too heavily on action to keep your attention. I did notice a few people falling asleep during the movie but that can be expected with anything we watch as a class. The movie was about D-Day and the planning and careful coordination that went into the invasion. It was actually quite well done.

My least favorite thing would have to be the delays we experienced on the metro. Sure this is what city life is like but it kinda threw everyone's schedule off. Apparently there was smoke on the tracks and they couldn't move the train until given the all clear to do so. I'm sure that kind of thing happens all the time in this city but it's the first I've experienced it. I was very worried later on though that the train might crash, after all, we never did find out why there was smoke on the tracks, we just went.

How can today relate to my life? Well, we did see all the good things that Abraham Lincoln did in detail and that's all good but that's not very relatable. I think what I can relate to the most was the metro delay, and prepare for some deep philosophical talk right here. You see, when we were stuck there on the train for the delay, me and my friends were all just, talking and acting goofy, and it made me think of a deeper meaning behind it all. Sometimes, life will give us delays, but what we choose to do with that spare time can make memories that you will cherish forever. That's what happened, one day I will look back on this trip and wish I could do it all again. One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment