Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Daily Reflection: Tuesday

Today we visited the National Air and Space museum, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, the Korean War memorial, and the World War II memorial. We kept going and going for hours and hours and didn't stop walking until we were nearly dead and needed our own memorial. "Here lies the Oaks Junior class, they never stopped walking"

The historical significance of the Air and Space museum is that it is a place for all types of aviation to combine and be shown to the masses. Certain iconic things such as the wright flyer and the Spirit Of St Louis are there as well. The Washington Monument commemorates our first president, George Washington. The Lincoln memorial commemorates Abraham Lincoln and his emancipation of the slaves. The Vietnam Memorial commemorates those who fought in Vietnam. Same with Korean War memorial and WW II. 

I learned a lot from certain places, I knew everything from the Air and Space museum though but it was still cool. I did learn a lot about the scale of war from the Vietnam memorial. I had a grandpa that served and it was very strange to think that these names on the wall could've known him. I remember he used to tell me about rubbing the pencil names of his buddies from the war, I wish he was still around to do that. 

The thing I liked the most was the Air and Space museum. As an aspiring pilot I really enjoy most forms of aviation and I hope I can fly commercial or fighter jets one day. By then we will have lots of new advanced forms of aviation so seeing the humble beginnings of aviation is very humbling. The space aspect of the museum is also very cool as space is another one of my strange fascinations. I guess I'm attracted to that infinite expanse of blackness where literally everything is possible. 

The thing I disliked most about the day was the walking. That's pretty much the only thing. My feet still hurt as I'm typing this so it was pretty bad. That combined with the sleep deprivation was not good for anyone. I heard a lot of people complaining about that throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment